>> The problem with switching to RFC5890 is the potential that that constitutes
>> an
>> actual protocol change of a type not allowed for going to Draft Standard.

I asked my IDNA expert, who said that the definitive answer is "it
depends".  He suggests our chair ask our AD to check with the IESG.

I just looked through my three year archive of DKIM signatures and as far
as I can tell, I've literally never seen one with an IDN, much less one
with an IDN that would be different, so I think we can make a plausible
argument that the practical change is imperceptible.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",