On May 24, 2011, at 3:55 AM, Ian Eiloart wrote:

> On 23 May 2011, at 23:10, Franck Martin wrote:
>
>> There is an interesting post today on
>> http://chilli.nosignal.org/mailman/listinfo/mailop about exim and 8bit
>>
>> It seems they will stop to downgrade.
>
> Exim doesn't downgrade. It doesn't advertise 8bitmime either, by default. If
> you switch on 8bitmime advertising, it still doesn't downgrade. I think it
> just tries to deliver the mail as 8bit, regardless of what the receiving MTA
> does. I think postfix and sendmail do the same, but I'm not sure.

Exchange advertises 8bit and then bounces the mail if it tries to forward it to
a server that doesn't advertise 8bit.

This (entirely RFC valid yet completely broken) behaviour has bitten me a
couple of times.

I'm not sure any of this affects DKIM much, other than "Hey, look! Yet another
way DKIM signatures might get removed in transit!".

Cheers,
  Steve