On 31/May/11 00:23, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> [...]

While that's true for MLM, I'm not sure it correctly reflects MTAs'
behaviors.  In particular, the X-MIME-AUTOCONVERT feature and whatever
may cause MIME rewriting.  This is MTA-specific, and affects MLMs as
well as dot-forwards.

Pareto has been discussed enough, so I don't comment on the fact that
such minor part of the traffic would demand complicated and expensive
implementations to go through correctly.

> Agree on all counts.  And I talked to the Mailman people, for
> example, about a modified header canonicalization that deals with
> Subject: tagging, and they also agreed it wouldn't help that much
> since that's not the most common change made that would invalidate
> the signatures.

Yeah, reply messages have subject-tags already in place.  If MLM
subscriptions were known at submission time, tag addition before
signing could be easily done by MSAs, MUAs, or manually by users.