On 6/17/2013 2:36 PM, Laura Atkins wrote:
> I am in the process of reviewing the technical setup of a client
> installation. This client is using the VERP string (Return Path /
> Envelope From) in the i= of their DKIM signature.
>
> The signature looks like this:

h=content-type:mime-version:subject:list-unsubscribe:reply-to:to:from:date:message-id;
> bh=HbLebYQFYQmYej07DLVID9lCjc8=;
>
> Based on my understanding of DKIM, this isn't necessarily violating
> the DKIM spec, but it does seem to be not the right thing to use for
> the i= value

My understanding of i= semantics is that it has no formal meaning except
to its creator.[1]  As long as the syntactic form is followed, it is
acceptable for it to contain anything.[2]

At which point I'd expect the constraints to be privacy and utility,
according to whatever criteria the creator wishes to invoke.

> I'm thinking my client should stop doing this, just because it really
> seems wrong but I have no justification for recommending that other
> than "that can't be right."
>
> I haven't been able to find anything that discusses the intention
> behind the i=. I expect they chose this i= because that's the
> envelope from, but the i= is suppose to be a person, not a mechanical
> address, correct?

Different people had different intentions for i=, over the course of i=
development.  Basically, the original spec promoted some confusion on
its role and the role of d=.  We followed up with an effort to
explicitly resolve this.  The above statement summarizes my
understanding of the result, for i=.

d/

[1]  That is, pretty much the i= value is only useful for returning to
the creator.  One can imagine utility when a receiver is interacting
with the originator in problem handling, for example.

[2]  And, of course, there's the constraint: "The domain part of the
address MUST be the same as, or a subdomain of, the value of the "d="
tag."  But I'd consider that a minor point, for the kind of question
being asked here.

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking