On 06/20/2013 03:05 AM, John R. Levine wrote:
>> Now on the other hand, if an administrative domain wanted to go to the
>> trouble to authenticate down to the user level, we didn't want to prevent
>> that, either. The primary audience for DKIM includes regulated industries,
>> after all.
> Seems to me that works fine as is.  If a stock broker wants to set up its
> mail system to put an i= into DKIM that reliably identifies the person who
> sent the mail, they can do that.
>
> But unless I have external knowledge that they do that, and trust them to
> do it right, I can't depend on it,

Why do you raise this concern for "i=" and not for "d="? Simply looking
at "d=" we can't differentiate between a Good Guy and a Bad Guy, until
we have built some history/reputation for that particular "d=" domain.
Why wouldn't the same logic hold for "i="?

That is: if a Signer, despite the wording of RFC6376 par 3.5 on "i=",
chooses to use a non-default "i=" then the Verifier may assume the
Signer is intentionally signing with "i=" and the Verifier is allowed to
use the information of "i=" for whatever purpose it is verifying the
signature (e.g. building a reputation profile of that "d=,i=" combination.

If we wanted the Verifier to never ever use the "i=" information, we
should have written this as a 'MUST NOT' in RFC6376 (and not only in an
informational section).

/rolf