On Jan 27, 2015, at 11:53 AM, Steve Atkins <st...@wordtothewise.com> wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2015, at 11:24 AM, A. Schulze <s...@andreasschulze.de> wrote:
>

>> Steve Atkins:
>>

>>> So there's no reason to use anything bigger than 2048 bits for DKIM,
>>> I don't believe. I'd be far more concerned about other attacks on the
>>> system, or even on the RSA algorithm, than I would be about people
>>> brute-forcing 2048 bit keys this decade.
>> That's the point. The RFC don't make that clear enough.
>> It leave one side open.
>>
>>> How big is your DNS TXT record?
>> # dig J4bWGJQcBmxMQ._domainkey.andreasschulze.de. txt
>> ;; Truncated, retrying in TCP mode.
>> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 851
>
> DNS responses that exceed UDP size are considered a very bad thing,
> and will cause queries for that record to fail in many places. Given the
> demographics
> of people making that query it's not as big a problem as it would be for end
> user
> visible records, but it's still going to be a problem. And in the places
> where it does work it's consuming a much, much more expensive pool
> of resources than correctly configured DNS records do.

With EDNS you can go up to 4k UDP packet size, tho fragmentation is an issue.
DNS with UDP packets <1200 pass most broken firewalls.

With DNSSEC, you see more and more big UDP DNS requests. DNSSEC resolution is
deployed enough. Just don’t put a TTL of 5mn on these entries…

I don’t think a DNS answer of 851 bytes is a serious issue today (especially
for DKIM).

I think an addendum to DKIM, to allow more flexibility in key size could be
useful. The times it takes to reach standard, about 3 years (then deployment
another 2-3 years), we need to prep the work long before we need it.

It is like quantum computing, the time to create a new encryption is longer
than the projected availability of a quantum computer that will crack all
current encryptions within minutes.