David,

Thanks for your message.  I followed the designated site well past June
2000, but I am in no mood to quibble with your version of history.

How do you feel about filtering winsock connections to TCP port 25 in
a way such as would allow the user to confirm that a particular program
could always do so, but would be asked to approve the connection when
programs without prior approval do so?  That would take care of the
SirCam strain.

A general winsock version of the tcpwrappers utility might go a long
way, too, but might be subject to other forms of abuse.

Cheers,
James