Hi Tim,
At 05:18 22-06-2016, Tim Chown wrote:
We're encouraging discussion of privacy considerations in the WG. As a result, we now have a draft (see below), including an initial proposal for a solution, for which we'd welcome wider review. The draft also addresses mDNS/DNS-SD privacy within single subnet scenarios.

One of the privacy issue identified in the draft (Section 2.4) is device fingerprinting. In Section 3.1, it is proposed to solve the privacy issues described in Section 2.1 by obfuscating instance names. If I had to pick one privacy threat for that I would choose "correlation". Obfuscating service names would not address that.

If I understood the draft correctly, the solution "to prevent tracking over time and location, different string values would be used at different locations, or at different times". QR-codes are used to generate a shared secret and establish trust between two or more "friends".

The draft identifies the problem.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy