Greetings again. One of the topics earlier on the mailing list was defining what a "trust anchor" is. A few of us hammered out the following words. If folks like them, great, we can move on to harder topics. If not, let's see if we can coalesce on words that work.

-----
A trust anchor is a public key and associated data used by a relying party to begin the process of validating a signature on a signed object. Associated data is used to define the scope of the use of the trust anchor for validating signatures. For example, associated data might limit the types of identifiers in certificates that a trust anchor is allowed to validate.
-----

Given the number of people at the TAM BoF who were confused about what "associated data" might be, I think it is important for us to call it out and to give a fairly easy example. Thus, the third sentence is not technically part of the definition, but it is fairly important to helping the reader understand what we are talking about.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium