*>
  *> I'll grant FTP an exemption, it came well before NAT units became
  *> prevalent (Was there an FTP-over-NCP before The Great IP Deployment?).

There certainly was.  FTP and Telnet were both ARPANET NCP protocols
in use since ~1972.

Bob Braden

  *> However, I do agree that anybody designing a protocol in the last 3-4
  *> years *should* have designed it to be firewall and NAT friendly.
  *> (Yes, I know that can be difficult in practice.  I guess that's today's
  *> "Welcome to Reality").
  *>
  *>                            Valdis Kletnieks
  *>                            Operating Systems Analyst
  *>                            Virginia Tech
  *>
  *>