Everyone, this conversation isn't really going to be very productive. The
people who like A aren't about to start liking B, and vice versa. (And then
there are the people who don't like either - but they aren't going to change
their minds either! :-) So discussion on this point is not going to be very
productive.

The various approaches to growing the Internet (IPv6, NAT's, etc) all have
costs and benefits - but each differing costs and benefits. In a system as
large as the Internet, it is to be expected that some people will evaluate
the costs and benefits, and decide that for their particular situation,
option A is to be preferred. Others will prefer option B.

In the end, if a single approach does become the predominant one, it will be
the market that decides (as individuals look at the costs and benefits in
their individual cases), not the IETF. The IETF can't do a lot to influence
this outcome - we don't have a police force, nor an army, so we can't stop
someone from using A, or force them to use B.

The IETF has always done much better at *designing* protocols than it has
done at *choosing* protocols. Let's stick to designing, and stop arguing
about which one to pick, eh?

        Noel