> If you send your nroff input file to the RFC editor as well as the
> nroff'd output file, which is the recommended practice, then modifying
> the ms macros themselves is not an option.

Well, sort of.  You can .rm an existing macro and .de it differently.
I do that for the SH, H, XS, XA, XE, XE and TC requests, then use
soelim to put my macros into the nroff source I send to rfced.  So
far no feedback from that quarter, positive or negative.

> Automatic TOC processing cannot be done directly within nroff unless you
> are willing to accept the TOC at the end of the document. To place the
> TOC at the beginning of the document usually requires two passes. The
> first pass is used to generate the TOC, which is then sourced (.so'd)
> into the document for the second pass.

That's the LaTeX-like way.  What I do is start a draft-with-TOC with

        .so tmac.idt
        .pi ./fixtoc.sh

where fixtoc is Postel's fix.sh with the added function of moving the
TOC from the end to a marked point near the front.

                                Matt

(But the fun part was computing the six-months-plus-five-days
expiration date in nroff.)