> From: Bill Manning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: IETF Adelaide and interim meetings for APPS WGs
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mart Nurmet)
> Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:14:26 -0800 (PST)
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>       [...]
> and note that the IETF is composed of indivduals, not corporations.
> You should not presume to "represent" a corporate entity within the
> IETF. Your just the best engineer you can be.

I believe that whether an individual is expected to represent the
interests of an organization is largely a matter between that individual
and the organization, (regardless of what the IETF says).  The IETF may
recognize individuals, not organizations, but that's far different than
the IETF promising participants that they can say anything they want without
the prospect of repercussions when they return home.

The original poster may, in a very real sense, actually be representing a
company, whether the IETF wants to believe it or not.

Of course, that leads to the rather interesting dilemma that we don't know
whether an individual is speaking on behalf or his or her self or on behalf
of an organization, (again, even if we tell that person that _we_ know
which it is).

-tjs