> > Why is this thread being run on the IETF mailing list? The IETF
> handed off responsibility for HTML to the W3C long ago.
>
> When did the IETF ever have responsibility for HTML, exactly?

Actually, the handoff hasn't been quite completed. There was a
last call on draft-connolly-text-html-01.txt issued 10/28/99.
There were several comments recieved during the last call period,
and I submitted draft-connolly-text-html-02.txt on 11/16/1999.

The last call items are now currently listed as "AD Review" under
http://www.ietf.org/IESG/status.html.

It would be useful to update the XHTML reference (since this is
no longer a 'work in progress'). But completion of this item
would allow for the handoff to be completed.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net

The IESG has received a request to consider The 'text/html' Media Type
<draft-connolly-text-html-01.txt> as an Informational RFC.  This has
been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF Working
Group.

In the same action, the IESG will consider reclassifying the following
RFCs as Historic:

RFC1866 Hypertext Markup Language - 2.0
RFC1867 Form-based File Upload in HTML
RFC1942 HTML Tables
RFC1980 A Proposed Extension to HTML: Client-Side Image Maps
RFC2070 Internationalization of the Hypertext Markup Language

The listed RFCs are obsolete versions of the HTML specification.  The
current HTML specification which is maintained by the World Wide Web
consortium should be used for new implementations.

The document proposed as Informational is intended to supersede the
current MIME registration of the text/html content-type, which
references a now-obsolete version of the HTML specification.

final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing lists by November 10, 1999.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-connolly-text-html-01.txt