Hi Patrik,

Patrik Fältström wrote:

> At 17.29 -0700 2000-04-07, Peter Deutsch wrote:
> >  LD is intended to sit in front of a cluster of
> >cache engines containing similar data, performing automatic
> >distribution of incoming requests among the multiple caches. It does
> >this by intercepting the incoming IP packets intended for a specific
> >IP address and multiplexing it among the caches.
>
> What you are doing is giving a product to the service provider, which
> is the one which owns the services which you load balance between.
>
> In the case of a transparent proxy which is discussed in this thread,
> the interception is done neither by the service provider (i.e. CNN or
> whoever) nor by the customer, and neither of them are informed about
> what is happening.
>
> That is a big difference.

I agree, and would welcome a BCP document pointing out this distinction
and explaining why the later is harmful. Banning publication of
technologies a priori (as I argue elsewhere) wont stop the technology
being developed, wont stop the practice and just leads to the IETF
abdicating it role as a meeting point for technical innovation.

     - peterd