At 11:44 PM 4/23/00 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

>I wonder...how many of these folks really want network address
>translation, versus those who just want the other things that
>NAT boxes often do?   (DHCP, firewall, hub, router, all with
>really easy setup)

I'm not a valid statistical sampling, just a point of anecdotal evidence in
support of your musings, Keith.

Less than four months ago I switched from dial-up access to ADSL. My ISP
was being less than forthcoming about the security risks inherent in a
24/7, so I had to do some research on my own. I settled on a DSL
modem/router with NAT capabilities in the belief that it would meet my
(modest) security needs. "Modest" because I have, as yet, no plans to
provide Internet services, only consume them.

Even today I know little about the nuts and bolts of NAT's operations. I've
started following this and other threads (notably zero configuration)
because I'm vitally interested in the "home network"---and come at it from
a Serial Bus (IEEE 1394) perspective.

So, YES, I think many could care less about NAT per se and only care about
the things that come with it.

Regards,

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.