On Thu, May 04, 2000 at 11:13:03PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Thu, 04 May 2000 11:11:50 EDT, Scot Mc Pherson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  said:
> > In fact to back up your statement, there are exactly 3 virii that infect
> > UNIX based systems.

> Hmm.. the Morris worm of 1988.  What are the other 2?

        Bliss?  Wasn't very sophisticated and it didn't propagate very
well, but it did work.  It just fizzeled out because it's propagation
coefficient never even came close to break even.

        What's the other one?

> Hmm.. if you count the 2 self-reproducing sample programs that
> came with 'gcc', no others.  Or maybe there's more than 3, which
> is likely since I've seen at least 4 different "proof of concept"
> level creations...

        I've seen some assembly code someone was proposing on one of the
development lists.  One of the DOS virus writers claiming that it would
work as a Linux virus.  No evidence that it does anything though.  I
would marginally call that one a "proof of concept" or a "maybe of
concept".

>                               Valdis Kletnieks
>                               Operating Systems Analyst
>                               Virginia Tech

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/