Jacob,

Given a choice between reducing crime via more government surveillance
and reducing crime via software that doesn't do stupid things, I'd far
prefer the latter.  I don't know of any good reason for a mail reader
to make it so easy to execute code that can have harmful side effects,
but history has provided us with many examples of governments abusing
their power (legitimate or otherwise) to conduct surveillance.

not that this is terribly relevant to the ILOVEYOU virus...the virus is
being transmitted in the clear; the US government (at least) seems
perfectly knowledgable about it and ISPs appear to have been
cooperating with government authorities to help track down the source.
it's not as if the code is a secret, and if I believe the news reports
the authorities are already very close to nabbing the culprit.
(or at least, a suspect...)

Keith

note that the IETF policy is to not develop facilities specifically for
the purpose of supporting government surveillance...this does not
mean that IETF is actively trying to prevent governments from
conducting surveillance, either using facilities developed for other
purposes, or facilities not developed by IETF.  it just means that
IETF has decided to concentrate its energies in other areas.