On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 10:12:14AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Fri, 19 May 2000 13:51:35 +1000, Bruce Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  said:
> > Just a quick survey on the last 513 messages seen in the IETF list, based
> > on X-Mailer header:

> >     29 exmh

> OK, let's make it 30 for exmh ;)

> But seriously, there's a big disparity between counting the messages *posted*
> and the MUAs being used to *READ* the messages.  I'm willing to bet that the
> traditional posters, the professional lurkers, and the newbies are three
> disjoint groups, with quite possibly different expectations regarding mail
> software.

        Ok...  So, let's try a different kind of survey.  Let's try the
kind of survey that hit CyperPunks a year or so ago.

        We post an html message containing some hostile java script.
I've got one that puts up a window proclaiming "HTML is inappropriate
in E-Mail" and then closes your browswer when you hit OK.  I've got
another that opens TWO windows proclaiming "HTML is inappropriate in
E-Mail" each time you hit OK in one (that one is a mother to kill).
That does a quick "smoke test" survey of how many people have and html
enabled reader with javascript enabled.  :-)  Voting is tabulated by
counting screaming.

        Round two...  Someone sets up a nasty web page (with good logs) and
and then sends out an HTML message with a meta-tag refresh that bounces
the reader to the web page.  Now we get a quick and automatic feedback
on how many people have html enabled readers that honor the refresh
meta-tag.

> I'm willing to bet that the newbies don't know what hit them, the traditional
> posters are savvy enough to deal with anything, and the complaints are
> mostly coming from the lurkers....

        You can have lots of fun with HTML and especially have lots of
fun with people who have HTML enabled readers.  Only Outlook does it
better (with everything IT currently honors).

> --
>                               Valdis Kletnieks
>                               Operating Systems Analyst
>                               Virginia Tech

        Mike
--
 Michael H. Warfield    |  (770) 985-6132   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  (The Mad Wizard)      |  (770) 331-2437   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/