->-----Original Message-----
->From: Dennis Glatting [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
->Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 8:32 AM
->To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
->Subject: Addresses and ports and taxes -- oh my!
->

->Nonetheless, with IPv6, I naively hoped, until last night, the
->conservation of space issues would go away, and thus the
->fees. Big duh!

ARIN ..still needs to delegate/admin the space.. costs will be incured.

->
->If we look at today's marketing hype and think forward a bit
->there is a
->thrust to "Internet enable" appliances, such as dryers, ovens, and
->stereos. Assuming ARIN fees persist, my first philosophical
->question is
->whether any consumer of these appliances MUST periodically
->(e.g., monthly)
->drop coins in the ARIN fountain?

what does the appliance have to do with a /32 or /28 ??

->Imagine for a moment the effect of a fee against the
->allocation or use of
->port 80 or 443, maybe even port 25 or 53.

Does IANA charge for  port assignment numbers ??