as a european, i feel i have to be first to respond with:

"We're the government and we're here to help"....

having said that, there's some useful references in yr. document

for those of you out there in ietf land without brit TV access ,yo
umight be amused to track down the Mark Thomas Product's
expose of the CEC's rather dubious track record on public access to
information/policy
http://www.channel4.com/mark_thomas/
and compare it with some policies in the US and other places that any
valid/effective/non-pointless cybercrime policy must be consistent
with...

i suggest someone setup a web site or list to accumulate ALL responses that
people want to make public otherwise you may never see them again:-)

it would also be most encouraging if the CEC were to actually use some
sort of secure email for the opposite requirement (folks that want
their responses provably private)

In message <91A2F218314CD4119566009027CA36EA0203ED45@ex2beimcombx04>, Gordon.Le
[EMAIL PROTECTED] typed:

 >>Computer-related Crime
 >>
 >>The European Commission is participating in a number of initiatives aiming
 >>at making communications networks like the Internet safer from criminal
 >>activity.
 >>
 >>It adopted on 26.1.2001 a Communication to the Council and the European
 >>Parliament COM(2000)890) entitled Creating a Safer Information Society by
 >>Improving the Security of Information Infrastructures and Combating
 >>Computer-related Crime
 >>
 >>http://europa.eu.int/ISPO/eif/InternetPoliciesSite/Crime/crime1.html
 >>
 >>The European Commission would like to invite comments from all interested
 >>parties on the issues addressed in this Communication. Comments may be sent
 >>up to 23 March 2001 via e-mail to the following address:
 >>
 >>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 >>
 >>Comments will in principle be published, unless the sender explicitly
 >>requests the comment not to be published. Anonymous comments will not be
 >>published. The Commission reserves the right not to publish comments it
 >>receives.
 >>
 >>The European Commission will also organise a public hearing of interested
 >>parties on the issues addressed in the Communication. This hearing will take
 >>place on 7 March 2001. Requests for an invitation to submit a statement at
 >>this hearing may be sent up to 20 February 2001 via e-mail to the following
 >>address:
 >>
 >>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 >>
 >>The European Commission reserves the right to make a selection of parties to
 >>be heard. Any selection will be based on the number of requests and the wish
 >>to have a wide coverage of interests.

 cheers

   jon