Lloyd and all,

  I am heartened to read your post and somewhat encouraged to see that
other than myself and a very few others that someone has the courage
to stand up for open discourse and free exchange of ideas on the IETF
mailing lists.  I for one agree with you that if filtering is needed by
participants on any IETF mailing list it can be done on the participant
level not through a moderator of any sort.  Using a moderator is
paramount to selective censorship.  And any form of censorship is
wrong....

Lloyd Wood wrote:

> IETF mailing lists are intended for OPEN discussion; the benefits
> (cross-pollination between lists, lack of inhibition about stating
> your opinions) are widely recognised as outweighing widely-accepted
> drawbacks (e.g. Peter Lewis advertising every forum everywhere he can
> think of, allisat going on yet another hallucinogen-induced trip down
> memory lane).
>
> midcom is not open. midcom should not be part of the IETF, much less a
> working group.
>
> No, I don't care that having a moderator-in-the-middle filtering
> everything is in the spirit of the midcom charter and must be for my
> own good. I _really_ don't like the concept of an IETF-approved
> poster to a mailing list on an IETF-run server.
>
> We can do our own filtering, if we choose to, and we don't need the
> IETF to do it for us. Moderator approval of individual posters is
> outside the spirit of RFC2418, and would require AD and IESG approval.
>
> What are we coming to?
>
> L.
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>

Regards,