>> 6.  Doing traffic shaping at the network edge is better than on the host node for
> The host *is* the edge of the network.

I'm sorry to have not mentioned that I consider the host nodes, or the end nodes, are
not edges but instead something attaching on network edges. I consider the very last
hub, or the access router which the end nodes connected to as the 'network edge'. And
I'm sorry not to mention that practically  it is probably better to do traffic shaping
at the service provider network edge, for some reason of accouting, congestion
control, or required by service-level-agreement (I don't think throwing bandwidth at
the QoS issue is a good choice in the near foreseeable future, especially for the
enterprise users.).