>> > The host *is* the edge of the network.
>>
>> I'm sorry to have not mentioned that I consider the host nodes,
>> or the end nodes, are not edges but instead something attaching
>> on network edges. I consider the very last hub, or the access router
>> which the end nodes connected to as the 'network edge'.

> So there's no network between me and another computer on the
> same unswitched Ethernet?
For example the old 10Base2 ethernet links? Or a cross-link twisted-pairs?

I can say the full length of the 10Base2 link can be regarded as a (passive) repeater
hub.

I think 'network edge' is somewhat a arbitrary definition. Maybe I'm not correct but I
believe distinguishing 'network edge' from 'end node' may provide some convenience for
further discussion on the congestion control and avoidance mechanism.