I don't really care if they are split -- I can as easily re-join
them in my inbox.

But I do find the discussion has unearthed something that rather
disturbs me... hyperfocus on drafts only in your own WG's strikes
me as dangerous.  A lot of stuff (even relevant stuff!) comes out
as personal submissions (not announced in any WG).  And, having
a sense of what else is going on gives you a clue about what
things not to reinvent/where to inject some clue.

Personally, I find it hard to (find the motivation to) keep up
with the IETF-discuss list, but I make a point of scanning all
the announcements.  If I'm that much in the minority, perhaps
this explains why we've gotten divergent threads happening.  We
could help the IESG out a lot if we paid more attention, individually.
And, a helped IESG is a happy IESG; a happy IESG means our WGs
go more smoothly...

IMO.

Leslie.

Pete Resnick wrote:

> Just some followups:
>
> Re filters: As Paul already joked, I obviously do use an e-mail
> client with filters. But of course the problem is that filters don't
> stop the intial problem, which is an awful lot of traffic through my
> poor little server. Even worse, when I am on the road and over a
> lowly 33.6K link, downloading the hundreds of I-D announcements just
> to filter them only serves to slow down the whole process.
>
> Re "everyone should read the drafts anyway": WGs always get the
> announcements for the WG drafts, so I always read the one's for WGs
> with which I am involved. Other drafts can be dealt with by the
> occasional search. Those who really have lots of time on their hands
> can subscribe to the I-D announce list.
>
> Re announcing all documents separately: Since RFC's are not nearly as
> numerous, and I am interested to see what's been finalized and
> published in all areas, I wouldn't be in favor of that split.
>
> And again, this might significantly cut traffic out of the secretariat.
>
> Any other objections to such a move?
>
> pr
> --
> Pete Resnick <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> QUALCOMM Incorporated

"An essential element of a successful journey
    is recognizing when you have arrived."
   -- ThinkingCat

Leslie Daigle
[EMAIL PROTECTED]