Stephen M. Bellovin wrote:

>If you're doing
>uncompressed voice (compression makes this effect worse), a 1500 byte
>packet holds 214 ms of voice at the (U.S.) standard rate of 56K bps.
>That's already beyond the delay budget, just for that one hop,

On the other hand, that's assuming POTS-grade audio quality.  Some people
could have use for higher-quality audio.  For example, radio stations
prefer to use high-quality audio when doing interviews with people in
remote locations.  Musicians could use CD-quality audioconferencing to
practice together remotely (for example, if Big Stars from different
continents are preparing for a live show together); at 176K bytes/second,
a 1500-byte MTU is less than a single millisecond, meaning you'd have to
route more than 1000 packets per second.  (And that's just for stereo;

And then there's video; given FTTH, it could be practical for a TV news
program to do an IP-based videoconference when it needs to interview
somebody remotely.  Since by then we'd be talking about HDTV, they'd need
a huge bit rate; individual frames could easily turn out to overflow the
1500-byte MTU.

I know this is stuff that's been talked about for a long time, and has
remained impractical (I used to work in videoconferencing); but the
biggest part that makes it impractical has been bandwidth.  FTTH would
increase that bandwidth, so it does seem like something for a body working
on FTTH to consider.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer     |
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.|
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.|
|Cogito ergo Spud. (I think, therefore I yam.)           |