>The behavour that bulk emailers exhibit is substiantly different from
>happened in this case.

The key point, though, is that there is no way for the recipients to tell
the difference.  From my point of view, when I get customized spam (the
sort with my name & address on it, rather than BCC:ing everybody), all I
know is that it was sent by someone running a simple fill-in-the-blanks
program.  I do not know, or care, whether that program was run in software
or wetware; and I do not know, or care, whether that message went to 10
people or 10 million.  Either way, the harm to me is the same.

>In fact if you look at the various forms
>of legislation around the world

Law has nothing to do with right and wrong.  If I can't look at a piece of
spam and determine whether or not it infringes the law, then there is
something wrong with the law.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer        |
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]   |Incentive Systems, Inc.   |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com |My opinions are my own.   |
|"What we have here is a failure to assimilate." --Cool Hand|
|Locutius                                                   |