Keith,

In a just world, people freely purchase the things they want and believe
solves a real world problem for them.

The Internet has grown at an incredible rate and I suspect in large part
due to NATs.   I wonder if the Internet would sue the NAT vendors, or
thank them for establishing a broader customer base, especially
customers who pay for broadband?  (in the u.s. they would certainly be
honored for accomplishments and sued! )

I would like to close this discussion with: the Internet has v6 coming
in the pipeline, and the AT of NATs will go probably go away as a
result.  apps in general need transparent connectivity amongst peers,
but the tacit assumption that all an app has to do is send a packet is
not realistic  and things will just work is unrealistic.  In other
words, NATs becoming personal firewalls is a growth market.   Like
almost every other resource, the network is something that will be
managed, inspected, measure, and controlled by some policy.  This will
be manifested in a collection of protocols from the host "asking" the
network to do things.  MobileIP is an example, authenticated firewall
traversal is another.   I predict you will see what some have called the
"remote bind" problem of opening holes in firewalls and NATs for
listening services behind firewalls to be an important protocol to get
nailed.  The extent to which we can help people NOT be firewall admins,
the better off we all will be.

I would not be wasting my time sending mail to this list if I did not
suspect the IETF knew where the problems are.   What I am hoping will
arise is action and results.

Cheers, peterf

P.S.  lighten up.   We will get v6 tunneled over v4 over NATs as well.
What bliss!