On Wed, 29 May 2002, Melinda Shore wrote:

> At 11:03 AM 5/29/02 +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> >I think it's pretty clear. That doesn't mean it doesn't
> >cause confusion, because it certainly does. There is a strong
> >case for an informational document and presentation to try to
> >get rid of the confusion, but that doesn't need a meeting or a WG.
>
> I really think that it depends on your definition of "pretty
> clear."  Aside from situations in which some competing technologies
> are encumbered and some are not, we're now finding ourselves in
> situations where all of the proposed technologies are encumbered
> but have different licensing terms.  I think that a new informational
> document would benefit a great deal from real-time discussion, etc.,
> if for no other reason to see which questions are raised.  A Friday
> meeting seems to me to be a rather small one-time cost for getting
> more clarity around the issue.
>
> Melinda

Yes, a lot of discussion will come about "IPR".

For example, the case of VRRP is not really solved ;-).

Cisco says that a RAND (reasonable and non-discriminatory) is available.
But for example, for the Free Software developers (for example : released
under the GNU General Public License) need a RF (Royalty-free license).
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#RAND

We have contacted Cisco Inc. several time about that without getting any
feedback regarding the RF license. http://www.ael.be/node.php?id=52

I think a method for Free Software developers should be created inside
the IETF (because implementations of draft/RFC are often Free Software).
Also a correct terminology should be in place. (RF / RAND / type of Licensing...)

What do you think about that ?

Thanks

adulau