On 30 Oct 2002, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Dave Crocker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Wednesday, October 30, 2002, 1:38:54 PM, you wrote:
> > Perry> As I use Return-Path: headers to filter my mail, this has gotten
> > Perry> annoying, Yes, I can indeed kludge around it, but is there a
> > Perry> particular reason for this being done?
> >
> > Using return-path is a bit like paying attention to what mailbox a postal
> > letter is dropped into.
> >
> > looking for ietf-announce in the recipient list works better.
>
> The recipient list is a pretty poor way to deal with things when you
> get mail sent to multiple lists you're on, and often the To: line ends
> up with nothing at all. The Return-Path: is generally the surest way
> to know which of the lists each of the messages was sent to. I've
> tried lots of things over the years, and Return-Path: is what works
> the best. I'm on a few hundred mailing lists so the matter is somewhat
> important to me.

On the other hand, when someone replies to you on most mailing-lists (To:
you, Cc: m-l), at least _I_ don't want those hundreds of messages in my
inbox, rather in the respective folders (both direct mail and the
mailing-list version with Return-Path:).

The approach looks suitable if one is relatively passive on the mailing
lists.