on 5/29/2003 3:29 PM Dave Crocker wrote:

> Please indicate some historical basis for moving an installed base of
> users on this kind of scale and for this kind of reason.

Notwithstanding the overly-specific nature of the request, I can think of
two off the top of my head, which are FTP/Gopher->HTTP and POP->IMAP.

The features define the benefits, and the benefits are the motivators (I
already gave a list of the features I'd like, and which I think would be
motivational). Large-scale mail carriers would probably switch quickly if
the accountability feature proved useful, even in the absence of laws. The
same is probably true for corporates and financial services firms who rely
heavily on accountability. That's just one benefit.

There are external motivators as well, such as flagdays for the government
and all of its contractors.