At 1:31 PM -0700 6/18/03, Vach Kompella wrote:
> - the IETF's track record for this work so far is quite poor

That's not a problem of the ppvpn group only. It is a problem of the IETF.

Generally agree.

I don't need to refresh your memory about IPSec, do I?  SKIP, Skeme, Oakley,
IKE.  AH or ESP with auth?  5 years of bloody fighting.

I'm not sure how to argue with the statement "the IETF has done a horrible job with a similar working group, so we want our working group in the IETF".

First off, I agree with you about the IPsec WG, and think it is a very good indicator of what the IETF does poorly, particularly in the area of focus. (Hint: look at the number of WG Internet Drafts there are right now in IPsec that no one is working on.) The problems in the IPsec WG and others are typical of the problems of the WGs that are working on trusted VPN technologies.

It's wherever the action is that the political jostling for position is the most
prominent. That's also where the leadership needs to be strong and participants
need to have a "nose to the grindstone" attitude. That's hardly an indication
that the work should not be chartered or worked upon.

Er, yes it is. There is no indication that we will do a better job than the terrible job we are doing now. What you propose sounds like "we're terrible parents for our six children and barely have enough time to pay attention to them, but maybe we'll be better with the seventh."

> We have not shown any ability to create standards in this area with
 due speed or predictability. We have not shown the good judgement
 needed to limit the scope of the work we do. (Look at the number of
 L2VPN-based Working Group drafts in PWE3 and PPVPN, much less the
 large number of non-WG documents being actively discussed.

Do you think the new L2VPN charter addresses these concerns of scoping? How about the timelines? Basically, it's going to be a WG issue, chairs and participants, to finish the WG charter items first.

Why do you think that the re-chartered WG will have any more luck with these than the current one? There are a zillion hardware vendors and service providers who have reasons to want the dozens of documents that are in the current WGs, and it takes very little effort on their part to promote their views. The IETF structure does poorly in such an environment; maybe a different standards body would do better.

> The IETF understands the need for layer 2 technologies for OAM much
 better than we understand the Internet customer's need (or even
 concern) for layer 2 transport of their IP packets. This is because
 we have a tighter relationship with operators than we do with
 Internet users, and because Internet users generally could care less
 about how their ISPs move their traffic as long as they meet the
 service level agreements. The ISPs would love to have better
 cross-vendor interop for the L2VPN technologies, but so far the
 vendors haven't had time to think about that because they have been
 overloaded with the literally dozens of flavors that are being
 discussed in the IETF.

Are you talking PWE3 or L2VPN?

Yes. There is a significant amount of spillage between the two.

The gazillion drafts is in PWE3. The interop issues are localized to the drafts
with contention, silly issues of where bits should go.

There are 16 pseudowire types:
           0x0001   Frame Relay DLCI
           0x0002   ATM AAL5 SDU VCC transport
           0x0003   ATM transparent cell transport
           0x0004   Ethernet Tagged Mode
           0x0005   Ethernet
           0x0006   HDLC
           0x0007   PPP
           0x0008   SONET/SDH Circuit Emulation Service Over MPLS (CEM) [8]
           0x0009   ATM n-to-one VCC cell transport
           0x000A   ATM n-to-one VPC cell transport
           0x000B   IP Layer2 Transport
           0x000C   ATM one-to-one VCC Cell Mode
           0x000D   ATM one-to-one VPC Cell Mode
           0x000E   ATM AAL5 PDU VCC transport
           0x000F   Frame-Relay Port mode
           0x0010   SONET/SDH Circuit Emulation over Packet (CEP)

At least half of these are and have been interoperable.  It is the harder (and
more arcane, IMHO) PW types that people are having a hard time coming to some
sort of compromise.

And why should the IETF care at all about these? There are other fora for layer-2 interworking.

BTW, I'm glad to see you have a healthier respect for providers than Kurtis who
claims that "most of these providers have bought what their vendor told them to
buy."

He and I might both be right. In my talks with service providers, I find that many of them who want to expand their presence in, or just get into, the "IP VPN" market look at what hardware they have on hand in their core (they certainly can't buy any significant new hardware these days) and base their decision on the layer-2 technologies on that. Usually, the customers don't know or care. If the customers care, they only care enough to ask "are you using MPLS" and then node sagely when their service provider says yes. (Humorously, the very large service provider who doesn't use MPLS in their core says that it usually only takes one or more sentences to convince the prospective customer that MPLS is not needed.)

> We will never know if there is another organization who could do a
 better job than this because no other organization will take on the
 work while the 800-pound gorilla of standards bodies is flailing
 around in the area. There are certainly other organizations that can
 take it on, such as the MPLS and Frame Relay Alliance. They might do
 just as bad of a job as we have so far, but they could also do much
 better because they are much more focused.

An 800-pound gorilla conjures up images of one less nimble of foot.

Exactly.

  IMHO, not
the right metaphor for the IETF.

But one that I believe is apt, at least for all of the trusted VPN work the IETF is doing currently.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium