On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 09:36:07AM +0000, Paul Robinson wrote:

> But that app has to be something particularly splendid. And in Europe at
> least, NAT is not as prevalent as some think it is.

It is prevalent wherever there is broadband.  And that is where (with the
extra bandwidth and always-on) connectivity into the network is desirable.

> Are you suggesting then, that all RFCs based on IPv6 should be... stopped?
> By the sounds of it, what you're looking for is for us as a community to
> refuse to deal with IPv4 any more, that we wash our hands of it, and make
> vendors realise that they are going to be unable to support IPv4 for more
> than a few years?

IPv4+NAT will coexist with IPv6 for many years.   A home router can easily
offer v4/NAT and v6 together.   This allows v6 apps to be used opportunisticly
between homes or other networks that would otherwise have NAT and need some
3rd party broker.

> It's brutal, but I can see the point. Thinking about a cut-off date for IPv4
> would indeed provoke some interesting discussion, but I think a lot of
> people still want to hang onto IPv4. Even so, how does July 31st 2005 sound
> to everybody?

That's rather insane :)   More like July 31st 2025 before we remove IPv4,
and even then it'll hang around... remember no-one *has* to install IPv6,
it's just an option if you want the functionality.   Users want features not
protocols.

Tim