The problem with both of your arguments is in the assumption that a full set
of keys needs to be maintained locally, or that a web of trust will solve
the problem. While the web of trust idea works among a small set where
people can trust someone to vouch for someone else, it doesn't scale. What
are the liabilities for not removing the abuser from the web of trust? Who
is actually responsible for making sure it happens? What is the recourse
mechanism when revocation doesn't happen?

Like it or not, trust is a political issue, and something the IETF is
particularly inept at dealing with. The only way this works at scale is to
have well established international legal process involved in the key
infrastructure. There may be technology issues involved in making signature
checking a <=1 click process, but without the appropriate political
infrastructure in place, there is no value in doing that work.

It is time for the IETF to move past the adolescent petty BS, and involve
the ITU in developing a workable PKI, from both the technical and political
perspectives.

Tony