Francis Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>  In your previous mail you wrote:
>
>    > i.e. the rights under 3667 are the same as under 2026 its just stated
>    > more clearly
>
>    Even if that is true, it would not change that the current copying
>    conditions are a problem for the free software community, and in my
>    opinion, consequently the IETF.
>
> => I can't understand why the copyright about a text is a problem
> for software when the documentation is explicitely "without
> restriction of any kind".

Where does it say this?  Note that the quote I sent earlier was the
old RFC 2026 copying condition, which I agree with you is OK.  The new
text is in RFC 3667, which seem murkier to me.  I cannot find "without
restriction" in it, for example.

However, Scott Bradner suggested that the old RFC 2026 text may not be
permissive enough to allow for derivative works.  I have asked lawyers
to look at this now, to be certain.

> Perhaps we don't share the meaning of "derivative works" (for me,
> this can't be code itself)?

If you extract, say, a C header file, or an ASN.1 schema, from an RFC
into an application, I believe that may be regard as a "derivative
work".

Thanks,
Simon