imo this update is much needed - there has been considerable confusion
about some of the processes in RFC 2434 and it would be good to
clear up the confusion

one specific area of confusion was what used to be called "IETF
Consensus" - renaming it to "IETF Review" may help but I'm not sure

I think there should be a IANA evaluation process that includes a
required IETF-wide Last-Call and evaluatiopn of the results of
that Last-Call by the IESG - the current text for "IETF Review" does
not make a Last-Call manditory  (this is seperate from IETF Standards
action because it should not require a standards-track RFC - an info or
exp RFC should be fine)

it would be my suggestion to use a very specific term such as "IETF
Last-Call & Consensus"  for a process that includes the following
        requires a public document (not limited to IDs & RFCs)
        requires an IETF-wide Last-Call
        includes IESG evaluation of results of Last-Call
                IESG permitted to do own evaluation but if
                results differ from results of Last-Call then
                IESG has to specifically justify difference in
                public message to IETF list

also concerning the "IESG Approval" process
        I'm fine with having such a process but considering the
        mess we have been going through I would like to add a
        step to the "IESG Approval" process
                if the IESG decides to turn down a request it
                must document the reason(s) for the reject in
                a message to the IETF list and run a Last-Call
                like request for opinions on the proposed IESG
                rejection - if the responses to the comment
                requested process clearly do not support the
                proposed IESG rejection the IESG must withdraw its
                proposed rejection.  The IESG can publish
                a RFC listing its issues with the proposed use
                but can not block the assignment
                if the responses to the comment requested process
                do not clearly object to the proposed IESG rejection
                then the IESG recommendation for rejection can
                be forwarded to the IANA

Scott