Hallam-Baker, Phillip writes:

> Because they are your customers.

The reader/author relationship is only very rarely comparable to
the customer/vendor relationship.  For many authors, money is not that
important.

> No, the author can not possibly know the needs of the reader.

The reader can pick what he needs and ignore what he doesn't.  That's
not the author's job.

> Once you add the headers and footers you no longer have plain text, you
> have ASCII text in a device dependent markup.

Upon what device does it depend?

> Enough people get it wrong to cause me problems reading their
> documents.

They don't know what they're doing.  Blame the workman, not the tools.