On Nov 8, 2005, at 9:25 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
You mean there is nowhere an official statement and we have to guess?

Not that I know of, but I could be wrong.

there are many people desiring some of the word processor features
(track changes, etc...) that are just not found in the xml authoring
tools.

Well, you certainly know that XML is a format, not a program :-) So,
at least in theory, you could use OpenOffice and still producing 2629
(providing someone wrote a XSL transformation from OpenDocument to
2629). Not obvious, I know, but a possible path.

That is certainly a possibility.  And a good idea.

For the specific feature you mention, I use version control system
with XML, I do not see the problem. Tools like Subversion even allow
you to specify an external diff so you can use a XML-aware diff to see
the changes.

I too use Subversion and rfcdiff and xml2rfc. But there are people doing work (i.e. writing docs) in the IETF that do not work this way. They may find using a version control system to be time-wise expensive or prohibitive, especially compared to emailing track- change-docs back and forth.

-andy