On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 09:45:00AM -0800, Ted Faber wrote:

> WRT revision control software on I-Ds, I think it's an excellent idea,
> but authors should use whatever they agree on.  IMHO, the IETF doesn't
> need to provide a system.  CVS vs. RCS vs. subversion vs. $DIETY knows
> what is too much of a mess to wade into for the benefit.

I strongly disagree. I fact, I would love if the IETF could settle on
a system and in the long term, even the RFC editor would just use it.
It will make my life much easier if I do not have to manually track
changes applied by the RFC editor to put them back into my version
controlled repository so that the editorial fixes are not lost when
the ID is up for revision.

It seems that the open source community much better understands what
it means to edit documents and how important it is to even agree on
style guidelines in order to be efficient. The IETF is really in the
stone age as an organization in this respect.

Perhaps the reason is that those who still know how to write and
maintain code have become the minority in the IETF.

/js

--
Juergen Schoenwaelder               International University Bremen
<http://www.eecs.iu-bremen.de/>     P.O. Box 750 561, 28725 Bremen, Germany