----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Presuhn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "ietf" <ietf@ietf.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:46 PM
Subject: Re: Troubles with UTF-8

I agree with you for 'binary' protocols, intended for machine consumption (OSPF,
SNMP), where the string is usually wrapped up in a binary-encoded TLV; but not
for character ones, intended for humans, in +-printable characters, with
positional or keyword parameters (LDAP[RFC2254], SDP[RFC2327], SASL OTP[RFC2444]
or MIME) where a numeric length, in ASCII characters, would look a little odd to
me.

I always saw NUL as an **IX-ism more than a C-ism, and so of wider use, could be
wrong on that.

Tom Petch