Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> we do not know what constitutes an acceptable experiment on
> the Internet.

Maybe something that doesn't harm folks who don't participate.
For whatever reasons, maybe because they don't know about the
experiment.

> focus on the general issue rather than the specifics of any
> case.

"Voluntary" and "opt-in" appear to be keywords.  A potentially
harmful experiment with non-consenting participants is dubious.

Intentionally disrupting other running experiments or breaking
standards is also dubious.

Maybe the latter is acceptable if it's a documented purpose of
the voluntary experiment, and causes no "real harm" for others.

For some values of "real harm" - one possible outcome of such
experiments could be "the whole world adopted it, what next ?"

                          Bye, Frank