Well, in the case of IPv6 we're currently playing in a sandbox 1/8 the
size of the available address space.  So if what you say is true, and we
manage to use up an exponential resource in linear time, then we can
change our approach and try again with the second 1/8 of the space,
without having to go through the upgrade pain that is the v4-v6
transition again.

I suspect even arrogant engineers can get it right in 8 tries.  :)

-Scott