On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 04:12:24PM -0500, Noel Chiappa allegedly wrote:
>     >>> locators are a lot easier to deal with if they're
>     >>> location-independent
>
>     >> Huh? Did you mean "identifiers are a lot easier to deal with
>     >> if they're location-independent"?
>
>     > I really was talking about locators, not identifiers.
>
> Now that I understand what you actually meant, I'm not freaked out!
> However, you phrased your point in a way that almost guaranteed
> confusion!
>
> You didn't mean "locators are a lot easier to deal with if the name
> has nothing to do with where the thing it names is", you meant
> "locators are a lot easier to deal with if their meaning (i.e. the
> thing they are bound to) is the same no matter where you are when
> you evaluate them".

This is a problem for PIP-like schemes and mobility.  At any point in
the network, the locator to use to reach a particular target is
unique.  However, the locator to use to reach a particular target is
different at every point.  That would be okay except that when *I*
move, the way I address a target changes.  That's more of a problem
than having to adjust as my target moves.