On 28 mar 2006, at 18.00, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NAT is a dead end.  If the Internet does not develop a way
to obsolete
NAT, the Internet will die.  It will gradually be replaced
by networks
that are more-or-less IP based but which only run a small number of
applications, poorly, and expensively.

...or you will see an overlay network build on top of
NAT+IPv4 that abstracts the shortcomings away - aka what the
peer to peer networks are doing. End-to-end addressing...

Precisely. Just what is this fetish about keeping the IP address the same as
the packet travels?

I will have to get better at making irony clearer....I most certainly hope we are not heading down the route I suggest above. I am _afraid_ we are though.

- kurtis -