> final comments on this action.

If the individual  submission is approved as an  Experimental RFC, does that
mean that  the IETF will  adopt the proposed  "experiment"?  If so,  I don't
think this  draft should be approved.   (Actually, I suspect the  fix is in,
but for the record ...)

The proposal seems primarily intended  to deal with the following "problem".
Sometimes  there are  cases in  which a  doc is  ready to  become a  DS, but
cannot, because of the infamous "downref  rule", which states that no DS can
normatively reference a PS.

The proposal leaves the downref rule in place, but allows it to be waived if
the  WG  is  willing  to   approve  derogatory  text  about  the  referenced
technology:

      "A note is included in the reference text that indicates that the
      reference is to a document of a lower maturity level, that some
      caution should be used since it may be less stable than the
      document from which it is being referenced,"

Frankly,  I  think  this   wavier  procedure  is  outrageous,  and  entirely
unacceptable.  The fact  The fact that the referenced  document has not gone
through some bureaucratic process does not  mean that it is any less stable,
or that any more caution is  required in its use.  Inserting this derogatory
language about technology which may  be well-proven and widely deployed will
be extremely misleading to the industry.

I  think that  any rule  which requires  us to  insert false  and misleading
statements in the documents should be strongly opposed.

Even worse:

     "The IESG may, at its discretion, specify the exact text to be used"

Great, not only is the WG  required to denigrate its own technology, but the
IESG is given free rein to insert whatever derogatory remarks they feel like
putting in.

Of course, we'll be told not to worry, since:

      "If members of the community consider either the downward reference or
       the annotation text  to be inappropriate, those issues  can be raised
       at any time  in the document life cycle, just as  with any other text
       in the document."

Great.  Another useless thing to argue  about in the WG, and another useless
thing to argue about with the IESG.

There  are  also   other  reasons  why  I  find   this  proposed  experiment
disheartening.

For  one  thing, it  really  misses  the point.   We  need  to simplify  our
processes, not make them more  complicated.  Either we need the downref rule
or we  don't.  If we want  to experiment, let's  experiment with eliminating
the rule entirely, not with fine tuning it.

The  real underlying  problem of  course  is the  the multi-stage  standards
process is just a relic from another  time, and makes no sense at all in the
current environment.  Experiments in fine tuning the process are nothing but
a distraction.