Yaakov,

        It might be me, but it seems (to me) that - if you think through
what you've said - it is not consistent.  Maybe it's simply an issue of
relative time scales.

        Your last statement - that a break in the series would invalidate
it - argues very forcibly that no such "gap" can be allowed to occur
going forward (unless you are of the opinion that IP, TCP, UDP etc. are
"done evolving").  Hence, something would have to take the place of the
IETF and the RFC series practically immediately.

        Don't you agree?

--
Eric