Paul E. Jones wrote:
Eliot,

So, this is a difference of opinion.  There is no process in place through
which such things can be discussed at organization/organization level.  The
IETF does not have a formal liaison process like the ITU, ETSI, or other
standards bodies.  There is a liaison process, as I understand it. but it
has not worked so far, as far as I know.

It has worked frequently, but both ITU and IETF being large and complex,
there can always be oversights. Please contact our lead liaison to
ITU-T, Scott Bradner, if you want to follow up on this.

   Brian