I think the point has been missed here that there have been significant changes
in the way that the IETF works.

Six years ago the norm was for IESG and IAB members to be reappointed as a
matter of course. Most NOMCONs changed one or two positions at most. Working
Group chairs were with few exceptions appointed by the AD without the WG
members even being aware that there is a vacancy.

These practices have mostly changed and most people seem to agree that the
changes are for the better.

There are still problems to be addressed. In particular the IETF has yet to
face the fact that major infrastructure changes such as IPv6 and DNSSEC require
much closer attention to marketting and deployment than is currently the case.

Also we still have the bizare situation where the IETF is a 'standards body'
that almost never completes standards. There is an institutional failure to
commit to production.

The point of the first set of reforms was to enable the second set.

We are all engineers and as engineers our preference for a management regime is
likely to be an environment where there are no fixed deadlines, no
accountability and endless scope for tinkering with details of the design. The
IETF management procedures should hardly be a surprise therefore. The point of
NOMCON was to maintain power in the hands of the establishment and to ensure
that there was no effective means of accountability.

The problem here is that we are now running an infrastructure that a billion
people and about half of international commerce depends upon. The security of
that infrastructure is unacceptable and throwing cryptography at it is not
going to be the answer.

The current IETF management procedures may meet the needs of some but they do
not meet the needs of those people who have a different scope and a different
vision of what the Internet should be, a vision and a scope that match what the
Internet is today and will be in the future.