On Apr 11, 2007, at 4:54 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

Ted,

Well, if IPR owners don't actually care, why are they asking people to
send a postcard?  It would seem to be an unnecessary administrative
burden for the IPR owners, yes?

My assumption is that they care if the party that fails to send
a postcard is one of their competitors. That's what the defensive
clauses in these licenses are all about, afaics.

Disclaimer: These are my own personal opinions and not necessarily the
opinions of my employer; I'm not important enough to affect the
opinions of my employer.  :-)

Ditto. (Full disclosure: Ted and I have the same employer, but
we're allowed to disagree :-)

A statement of claims and conditions should also protect software distribution as a practical matter, or this limitation should be clearly disclosed.

-Doug