John,

On the one hand, let's just get started figuring out how the promise /
request can be made so that it's not a burden to the open source community.
I'm asking for input.  Maybe a comment in the open-source source code (the
way the EAY disclaimers read atop OpenSSL files for example) is sufficient
to publicly request the GUL.  Maybe that also satisfies the "install"
disclosure as well, at least as far as the open source provider is
concerned.  I'm open to reasonable suggestions here.  And I have benefited
from Simon's pushback so far.  My revised sense is that those who publish
source code, such that promises embedded within that source code also get
published, don't need to write a postcard.  Those who are keeping their
source code as a secret will need to notify RedPhone Security of their
acceptance of the GUL more explicitly than in source code comments.

On the other hand, I want to ask open source providers who accept the GUL to
avoid knowingly trafficking in PAS Function implementations.  Here's an
analogy: PAS Function implementations aren't kiddie porn, but all the same
they're not very compatible with public ftp sites, etc.  In the analogy I
mean this: In some countries, users of PAS Functions could/may be doing
something illegal if that user doesn't have a license.  I want to ask
GUL-compliant open source publishers to discard contributions that implement
PAS Functions, e.g. not roll them up into a release.

This is my personal opinion of the GUL: IF person X, who doesn't participate
in (or know about) the GUL makes a PAS Function, that's RedPhone Security's
concern, not any open source provider's.  If person X checks PAS Functions
into a development/unstable source code tree operated by a GUL licensee,
then I'd expect the GUL licensee to just delete that contribution when it's
discovered, and not worry any further about it.  In my mind, a scenario that
violates the GUL would be where person X contributes (checks into source
control), and a GUL licensee accepts the contribution, and that licensee
functionally tests and approves the PAS Functions (thereby confirming that
the contribution performs the PAS Functions described in the GUL), and then
that licensee releases the PAS Functions as a stable / blessed build.  That
seems to me to be a "three strikes and you're out" GUL violation.

In saying this, I'm trying to be flexible.  I could go farther and try to
work out more detailed scenarios that might reduce risk and burden, but I'd
just be guessing.  Instead, let me stop here and ask for input.  Is there
burden in putting a comment in source code that recites the RPS GUL, or is
the burden in the postcard?  I'm open to suggestions on the mechanics for
making the GUL promise.  Is it risky that a (possibly open source) software
provider might accidentally but in good faith cruise through all three
strikes with respect to the PAS functions (accept, test and release) and
that their GUL might be void until things get patched up with RedPhone
Security?  Then let me know what risks are of concern so I can try to
address them.

To be fair, I can see that the open source community probably bears a higher
burden to keep PAS Functions out of their source code, so I would like to
try to ease the burden of requesting the GUL.  So I'd like to work this out,
but I will need some clear and direct feedback to get it right.

Best regards,

mark